Martin Luther King Jr. I know, it seems kind of pandering, I mean sure he was a great liberator and civil rights advocate, but for a president? What sort of thing can someone like that bring to the table in terms of economics or foreign policy? Here's why I think he'd be a good fit for the modern day. A lot of people don't recognize this, but near the end of his life he was a staunch opponent of the Vietnam war and beacon of hope for the poor and disenfranchised. He came to the conclusion after winning in the Civil Rights Movement that maybe the legal equality of the races wasn't everything. He asked, "What's the right to sit at the lunch counter, if you don't make enough to afford the hamburger?" He continued to fight injustices wherever he saw them. One of the main reasons he was shunned by the establishment near the end of his life was his opposition to Vietnam, because he saw it as an unjust war effort and the result of a class system that continually kept the working class and poor oppressed. I think he would be an excellent anti-war candidate. In terms of foreign policy, he's beloved by just about every world leader in the modern day, so there wouldn't be a lot of issues there.
No comments:
Post a Comment